I have to share an experience that has happened over the last day with me. I have been working on evolving my knowledge of Microsoft dot net in support of learning AJAX and having a platform to try some SOA work. So I agreed to do some work for an automotive company to work in this environment and try these things out.
So I have built an application leveraging Visual Wed Developer 2005 Express Edition.
When I first built it I leveraged SQL Server and it was great. Then due to hosting constraints we moved the database over to Access. It still works great.
Then I moved on to making the user interface look better, changed some functionality and once again the tool was great.
My next step was to add search capability to the site and I was planning on just using google's search or as the client suggested Pico Search. I went to go and implement them on Thursday and realized they wouldn't work on my application as the information I wanted to search was split across a normalized database. Ut oh. So after telling the client that I would miss our deadline due to this miscalculation (which he understood - Thanks Dave) I started going across the net. A while ago when I first started mucking with .NET I ran across a post by Scoble referencing some great video instruction out of the dot net team.